Commitment to the next generations
Bakery School Foundation
We believe that making a contribution to society matters. It is our commitment to the next generation.
Consumer taste is becoming increasingly Westernized, leading to an increased demand for finished goods such as cakes, pastries and chocolates.
Supermarkets, bakeries and cake shops, as well as hotels and cruise ships, all want to increase the range of products they have to offer, but many of them suffer from a significant shortage of skilled labour.
5th Bakery School to open in 2020!
Over the past years the Bakery School Foundation opened four Bakery Schools across the globe, determined to give young people the skills they need to work in the bakery, patisserie and chocolate sectors.
A first school opened in India in 2014, followed by Brazil in 2015 and a third school in Mexico mid-2018 and more recently in February 2019 the Bakery School South-Africa opened its doors.
We are very proud to announce that we are planning the opening of the fifth Bakery School that will open in the course of 2020, in Romania. We hope many others will follow!
The schools bring a hopeful future to underprivileged youngsters, it provides much-needed financial support to their families and finally it creates skilled labor and benefits the whole community.
We are glad to see our project grow. We aim for 1000 students following classes in our schools world wide, soon.
Training has been designed to give underprivileged youngsters the practical instruction in bakery, patisserie and chocolate alongside standard subjects such as maths and English, needed to make a decent living in the future.
The Bakery School Foundation manages and coordinates the Bakery Schools in developing countries worldwide and is responsible for safeguarding and maintaining a uniform policy and quality standards for all schools.
The Bakery School Foundation:
- Sets-up and promotes teaching and education
- Promotes the concept and practice of fair trade;
- Contributes to the social, economic and ecological sustainable development of disadvantaged producers and workers in developing countries;
- Assists all other good works and welfare works, without any distinction, and in particular the teaching and education of disadvantaged children;
- Establishes and participates in similar non-profit associations at home and abroad, establishing and managing Bakery Schools for disadvantaged children, encouraging employment.
We believe that the growing Bakery, Patisserie and Chocolate sector will continue to have a lack of well trained and skilled labor in the future.
We are committed to have a important impact on the life of underprivileged kids by training them to become future Bakers, Patisseries and Chocolatiers.
The Steering Committee is in charge of daily management and decision taking, including the founding members and Directors.
We have made an important commitment to ensure the students that graduate from the Bakery School and find a job.
The students have the opportunity to work either with the Apprentice Programme at Puratos or be hired as a professional beginner in the sector.
The end employers of our graduates are very impressed by the quality and efficiency of their work. Some of them have even asked to be listed as permanent potential employers in the future.
What are the Bakery School Foundation funds used for?
All collected funds are transferred entirely to the Bakery School Foundation, to be used to :
- Support in covering the daily costs of the Bakery Schools activities
- Further enhance the quality of the training
- Buy new materials
- Promote the initiatives and the curriculum locally
- … and many more initiatives and activities contributing positively to a better training and curriculum, a better student experience and develop the future skills of our students.
The Bakery School Foundation Private Stichting/Fondation Privée is an initiative of the Puratos Group, with worldwide headquarters in Groot-Bijgaarden, Belgium.
The Bakery School Foundation was established on 18 May 2016 by three founding members, all associated with the Puratos Group: Puratos Group NV, Puratos NV and Coprem NV.
The object of the Foundation can only be amended by a majority of four-fifths of the votes of the working members of the Foundation.